Soft Heat Low Voltage Heated Mattress Pad Review including their Select Comfort and Chattam & Wells Brands
The non-profit Electric Mattress pad Institute™ presents a professional, scientific and unbiased review of the Perfect Fit SoftHeat Low Voltage heated electric mattress pads. We tell you the advantages and the disadvantages as we see them so that you can decide if these products are right for you.
Brief History of Perfect Fit and the SoftHeat Mattress Pad
Perfect Fit Industries, a respected American textile company founded in 1932, has been producing top-of-the-line warming blankets and mattress pads since the year 2000. In 2004, they converted their entire line of warming mattress pads to their newly patented Safe & Warm® low voltage technology. Unlike the larger companies which make pad models for all price points, SoftHeat makes only a few models and the variations between them are solely in the top fabrics. They use the same patented low voltage system and the same controllers across their entire model line to keep costs down. Their market is the premium niche.
Review of the SoftHeat Electric Mattress pad – the Pros and the Cons
- Their electric mattress pads are the only ones in the USA conforming to the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) classification “Non-hazardous Low Voltage”.
- It is most improbable ever to get an electric shock even if the mattress pad becomes wet (for example from incontinence or spilled drink) or even if the heater wire insulation becomes cut or punctured (for example from a pet’s claw).
- Their heater wires are far smaller and more flexible than any other UL-listed producer’s.
- Their evenness of heating is excellent.
- Their mattress pads are machine washable and the only ones that are fully machine dryable without re-stretching to size.
- Their top fabrics (Cotton Blend and especially their Microplush) are soft and do not pill or shed.
- Soft Heat Warming Mattress pad Controllers:
- Have an easy-to-use rotary dial with large, brightly lit heat-level numbers.
- Automatic lamp dimming whenever the room lights are low or off.
- Have automatic pre-heating to whatever temperature is selected.
- Feature an auto-off at 10 hours.
- Their small controller wire connectors are located on the skirt (not the sleeping surface) at the head end of the mattress pad which results in no wires running under the length of the bed.
- All of their Queen, King and Cal-King sized mattress pads have Dual Controls so that each person can control the heat level on their side of the bed.
- Dual control models feature one connector for each controller (makes controller mix-up unlikely).
- Extension cords and power strips of proper rating are allowed with these warming pads.
- They can lower your home heating costs substantially.
- All are Underwriters Laboratories listed and conform to UL 964, the recognized electric bedding safety standard in the United States.
- All their mattress pads carry a 5 year warranty against design and manufacturing defects.
- Lastly, of importance to RVers and Boaters: The Soft Heat electric mattress pads are the only ones that will work consistently with modified sine wave inverters.
- Higher cost than many heated mattress pads.
- Their heat output is about 20% less than others at max (but quite sufficient for most people).
- The product has a power supply adaptor unit box (approximately 6” X 3” X 2”) that converts wall outlet 120VAC to low voltage DC prior to the control and the mattress pad. The company says that this box can be permanently located under the bed, out of the way and out of sight. Dual control models have two.
- People with very sensitive hearing and very quiet rooms sometimes complain of a high-pitched power supply humming. (The vast majority of people including those of us at the Institute have never heard it during normal use.)
- The Dual Control model’s connector design means two wall outlets (or extension cord sockets) are needed.
- Their controller plugs require three-hole outlets in the wall or extension cord.
Who Are These Mattress Pads For?
SoftHeat’s electric mattress pads cost a little more than most but are an excellent value for those wanting a premium, completely safe, durable, comfortable, easy-to-care-for and easy-to-use heated mattress pad.